Formerly the Polk County Opportunity Center, Bill Duncan Opportunity Center was renamed after the well-respected “Father of Discipline in Polk County Schools,” upon his retirement in 1992. In 2005, it became Bill Duncan Excel Center as established by The Excel and ResCare Company as an alternative behavioral management school which followed the Excel-ResCare Alternative School plan.
In 2009, the 300 student maximum facility was re-staffed with Polk County Schools personnel, including a principal who also serves to oversee the Don Woods Opportunity Center in Dundee. Bill Duncan Opportunity Center is located on the same campus as Traviss Career Center and serves students in grades 6 through 12 from a multitude of middle and high schools in Polk County.
The Bill Duncan Opportunity Center is fully staffed with one principal, one assistant principal, two deans, one guidance counselor, one school psychologist, one school social worker, sixteen teachers, one network manager, two secretaries, six paraprofessionals, and three custodians. Its teachers are among Polk County Schools’ highly qualified and they meet the following standards:
- Model professionalism.
- Design curriculum and instruction that results in active student engagement.
- Focus on student performance.
- Collaborate with colleagues.
- Consider themselves lifelong learners and consumers of educational research.
- Accept responsibility for creating conditions that enable and promote student success.
- Function as transformational leaders; those who believe in their ability to make a difference in the lives of students and the effectiveness of the school.
Click here to contact one of our staff members.